POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : subdivision surfaces and patches : Re: subdivision surfaces and patches Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: subdivision surfaces and patches
From: Peter Cracknell
Date: 7 Mar 2001 06:08:25
Message: <3aa616a9@news.povray.org>
> > ...Its not suitable directly for POV-Ray
>
> What do you mean? Subdivision could be very useful for POV-Ray...and I
> don't see anything about it that isn't "suitable". You can't even use
> the "POV is a renderer, not a modeller" argument with it, since
> subdivision isn't a modeller specific feature.
>

> > though someone could write a macro/prog that could subdivide a
> > mesh...
>
> As Ken mentioned, someone already has. ;-)

Fair point, but when I picture subdivision in action I picture a modeller
actually in control and view of a mesh which then gets 'subdivided', POV-Ray
could subdivide therefore, but in general the subdivision will be of
imported mesh's won't it anyway?  So yes it could be used, just not as
ideally as people would like.

Peter Cracknell (.com)